Catholic Scripture Study International
Catholic Scripture Study International was founded in 2003 and publishes more than 30 Bible and faith-related study programs. CSS studies are authored by well-known Bible scholars - such as Dr. Scott Hahn, Steve Ray, Mike Aquilina and Mark Shea - and are led in hundreds of parishes, universities, and organizations across the country.
- CSS is pleased to bring you this short study series exploring the documents of the Second Vatican Council. Most Catholics are familiar with Vatican II and have likely heard the phrase, "…in the spirit of Vatican II…". However, few Catholics have actually read the documents. Consequently, the "Spirit of Vatican II" has come to mean many different things depending upon the source. We encourage all Catholics to take the time to study these important documents for themselves to discover the ideas that accurately reflect the Council teachings.
Starting at: $10.95
This is the Birth of the Church - the completion of the story of Jesus as manifested in the life of the early Church - Christ's Mystical Body on earth. Some highlights of this book include Jesus' Ascension, replacing Judas; Pentecost; Peter's primacy; miracles and the spread of the Gospel by the Apostles; growth of the first Christian community around Peter; Stephen, the first Christian martyr; Saul the persecutor of Christians and his miraculous conversion; the first Church council; the mission.
The study examines the Scriptural basis of Mel Gibson's movie, The Passion of the Christ, and looks at how this powerful portrayal of the suffering and death of Jesus relates to the Bible and the teachings of the Catholic Church. Designed to be used alone or in conjunction with the movie, Jesus' Passion is suitable for individual or group study.
Starting at: $14.95
NEW! Catholic Scripture Study for Fall 2016
Call 800-437-5876 for more details and scheduling options.
Join us for Luke: The Gospel of Mercy the exciting, all-new Bible Study from Catholic Scripture Study! ”
This Fall, join prolific author and speaker, Dr. Paul Thigpen and Doors of Mercy host Fr. Jeffrey Kirby, in exploring Luke as never before. See Luke brought to life with world-class video shot on location in Rome and Assisi, with all-new full-color study materials.
Intimately discover God’s heart for you with profound insights into the Prodigal Son and other parables. Go deeper with God than ever before with the new “Living It Out” segment that helps you hear what God is asking and draw closer to Him.
Each lesson includes a powerful Teaching Video with comprehensive written commentary, and a Life Application video for each of its 18 sessions. The Teaching Videos are approximately 10 minutes each, and the Life Application videos are approximately 5-6 minutes each.
We invite you to immerse yourself in the parables of Mercy found in Luke, to uncover God’s Mercy in His own words, and to see how His Mercy is still active in the world today. We invite you to discover Luke: The Gospel of Mercy.
Starting at: $174.95
Advent Cycle B: Preparing for Christ – December 2017
4 Week Personal or Group Study with Fr. Mitch Pacwa
(Cycle B begins December 3, 2017)
Join us this Advent as we take 4 weeks to prepare ourselves for the coming of Christ! Are we ready for the King? Are our hearts ready to receive our Savior? The four weeks leading up to Christmas mark the beginning of the Western Church's liturgical year. Advent is our time for reflection, meditation and preparation.
This year the Sunday gospel readings at Mass come from the Gospel of Mark. Our engagement with this gospel, woven with other parts of Scripture, like Isaiah, 1 Corinthians, and 2 Samuel creates a beautiful tapestry of prepared anticipation for the Christ Child coming to the world and into our hearts.
This study follows the Catholic Scripture Study format but concentrates on the Sunday lectionary readings and incorporates the ancient method of Lectio Divina (praying the scriptures). Lectio Divina is a powerful way to ‘hear’ God speaking to us personally through scripture.
To prepare, each participant reads the Sunday readings along with the "Points to Ponder" commentary, answers the Study Questions & Questions for Reflection and "prays the scriptures".
Added elements: Catechism Connections, Rome to Home and Voices of the Saints.
Individual Study Guide (answers included separately)
Author: Cindy Morales
Presenter: Fr. Mitch Pacwa
Starting at: $12.95
Embark on a journey that begins before time itself, when Mary was only an eternal thought in the Mind of God, and extends into her life in Scripture. Discover Our Mother throughout centuries of Church history, as she intervenes at pivotal periods—especially at her most famous apparitions, when she made roses bloom on a hillside in Mexico, when she made a miraculous spring of water rise from the ground in Lourdes, and when she made the sun dance at Fatima.
See the maternal care she has given to humanity and the battle she has waged against the evil one, the one she was put in enmity to for all time. After seeing how she pursues us in love, learn how to grow closer to Mary, Our Mother by making devotion to her part of our daily life.
Take this journey now and discover the woman who, from the very beginning, was destined to be the Queen of Heaven.
Provide this trusted guide to each Study Leader and Small Group Discussion Leader through the eight-part Queen of Heaven
• Video recap notes helpful for discussion
• Discussion Question Answers
• Leader Resources to save you time
• Effective ways to build attendance and much more
It's so helpful for running QOH, that we're giving you a Leader Guide FREE with every 10 Study Guides! It makes the Small Group Discussion Leader’s role so clear, that recruiting is easy. With this helpful Leader Guide, leading your Queen of Heaven program will be seamless, enriching and enjoyable! 80 pages.
To be used by: Study Leader, Small Group Discussion Leader, Core Team
Provides each Leader and Participant through the eight-part program Queen of Heaven, and provides you with additional content to complete the study. Contains:
• Over 50 full-color sacred art images
• Discussion questions
• Glossary of Key People and Words to Know
• A section to help you apply each lesson to your daily life
• Further Suggested Reading
• Profound reflections on Mary from the Bible, the Popes, the Catechism and the Saints
• NEW! Quality, Lay-flat binding
Designed to be used in tandem with the program’s video content, this Study Guide leads you to take what you’ve learned during the session and apply it to your own life during each week and for years to come. 176 pages.
To be used by: All Participants, Study Leader, Small Group Discussion Leader, Core Team
Designed to be used in tandem with the Queen of Heaven Study Guide, which contains important additional content, prompts lively discussion and helps participants apply what they’ve learned to their everyday lives. Each of the 8 sessions feature:
• A Teaching Video (25 min) hosted by Leonardo Defilippis with over a dozen top Catholic teachers and experts
• A Spiritual Life video (5-7 min) hosted by beloved Fr. Patrick Winslow.
• 2 DVD Set with 2 sided discs (16 Video Segments with over 4 hours of content).
Streaming Video Group License:
As part of the Leader Pack purchase, the Leader can register their group and all registered participants can access the video as part of the group study. The Streaming Video License:
• Enables Leaders to view the video lessons online to prepare the lesson ahead,
• Helps participants who missed a session to catch up, and
• Allows those unable to attend sessions to join your group ‘virtually’.
Includes Registration Form, Bulletin Announcement, Scheduling Options, and other time saving resources.
Starting at: $249.50
Discover Joshua, a faithful leader carrying out God's commands followed by the deteriorating faith and failure of the Judges but concluding with the heart-warming story of grace and redemption in Ruth!
This 28 lesson study examines 3 important books of the Old Testament...
- St. Jerome likened the book of Isaiah as the gospel of the Old Testament because Isaiah prophesied more about the Messiah than any other book in the Old Testament. He also described in great detail the blessings of the future kingdom of the Messiah. His coming would be as a lion bringing the day of God's wrath, but first He would come as a Savior who would die for the sins of the people. Isaiah focuses on the salvation that will come through the Messiah. Some examples include Isaiah, chapter 9, where we’re told that the Messiah will one day rule in justice and righteousness; the eleventh chapter states that during the reign of the Messiah there will be peace and safety for Israel and according to Isaiah 42:6 and 55:4, through the Messiah, Israel will be a beacon of light to all the nations. The Messiah’s kingdom on earth (Isaiah chapter 65-66) is the goal towards which all of the Book of Isaiah points.
John is known as "the apostle whom Jesus loved" (John 20:2), and one of the three considered to be in the "Inner Circle" of Jesus' friends, along with Peter and James. His tenacity showed as John was the only apostle who was there at the foot of the cross when our Lord was crucified.
Scott Hahn and Mark Shea lead you through the multi-layered writings of St. John to discover much more than you probably ever realized about this Gospel!
In his Letters to the Corinthians Paul addresses ongoing problems including dissension, immorality, lawsuits, liturgical abuses and their tendency to fall prey to "false teachers". Paul tackles each of these problems with his typical spiritual zeal, strengthening their faith and commitment to build up the Body of Christ.
Two thousand years later, as we struggle with much the same problems, Paul's words of wisdom are both pertinent and valuable!